For the safety of our staff and community, we require our employees and volunteers to be fully vaccinated. KN95s or N95s are provided, and they are required when working onsite. HVAC units and air purifiers in every room are equipped with MERV-13 filters. Doors and windows are kept open for ventilation whenever possible.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY CYCLING CENTER
We love Portland and bikes. So, we put our two loves together over 25 years ago, creating a nonprofit organization on a mission to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits. Our vision is to help build a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders—regardless of income or background—should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom and health benefits of bicycling. This is the motivation behind everything we do.
In addition to delivering dynamic programs that benefit underserved communities, we operate a full-service bike shop in NE Portland that is staffed by highly experienced mechanics from diverse cycling backgrounds. Our programs and shop services combined help riders build their skills and confidence; empower young people to ride to school and adults to ride to work; offer educational opportunities for teens to earn school credit; and support everyone in riding for health and recreation. We also collaborate with numerous community partners to generate pathways to employment and engagement within the growing bicycle movement by training new educators, leaders, advocates and mechanics. Our goal is to help create a healthy, sustainable Portland for all community members.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The Retail Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, and supporting the retail operations of the Community Cycling Center’s Bike Shop. With the support of the Shop Leadership Team, the Retail Manager will lead shop staff in the delivery of excellent customer service and will guide the Shop’s promotions and marketing. This position will require a team-focused approach, the capacity to anticipate demands, and the ability to provide coaching and feedback to ensure staff is supported in the delivery of objectives. Experience in a high-volume bike shop environment and the ability to innovate and develop systems will be expected of this position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
MANAGEMENT OF STAFF & SHOP OPERATIONS (30%)
- Supervise, and provide training to staff working in your department
- Collaborate with Shop Leadership Team to hire, train, and evaluate staff
- Maintain and develop the shop floor and storefront to ensure a welcoming shopping environment
- Provide program representation on the shop floor through the use of displays and other written materials
- Work with Shop Leadership Team to develop and ensure adherence to policies and procedures
RETAIL MANAGEMENT (70%)
- Lead by example by delivering excellent customer service on the sales floor 16-24 hr/wk
- Work with the Inventory Coordinators to maintain appropriate inventory levels of new and used products
- Anticipate demand and seasonal changes to keep up with changes to the market
- Analyze sales trends to determine adequate stocking levels and product selection
- Partner with the Communication & Marketing Coordinator to develop creative promotions
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Managerial experience, including supervising and supporting staff
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously
- Ability to meet project deadlines and account for detailed objectives
- Success in creating inclusive work environments where people from diverse backgrounds feel safe
PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in bike shop management
- Fluency in Spanish
- Fluency in spreadsheet software and comfort navigating inventory management systems
- Basic knowledge of Adobe, InDesign, Quickbooks, and/or the Lightspeed POS system
REPORTS TO: General Manager
SCHEDULE: Permanent position, 40 hrs/wk, workdays may vary
BENEFITS: Health, dental, vision, life and more w/ approx. value of $4,800/yr; access to 401k; 18 days/yr PTO for FT, annual Used Parts Allowance, cost +10% on new parts
How to apply: Send your resume, cover letter, and (3) references to [email protected]. No phone calls, please