RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE JOB DESCRIPTION
The Community Cycling Center is strictly following all OSHA guidelines related to COVID-19. We are also taking the following measures to protect our staff and community:
- Our doors are now open to you, but please respect our max capacity of 4 people in the shop at one time.
- Doors and windows are kept open for ventilation whenever possible.
- Masks are still required to come inside as well as anytime you are interacting with an employee.
- N95s are required PPE for all employees who are working onsite. (Masks available for you)
- HVAC units and air purifiers in every room are equipped with MERV-13 filters
We’re proud to keep the shop safer for everyone and we wouldn’t want to have it any other way!
For over 25 years, we have been a nonprofit organization on a mission to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits.
Our vision is to continue building a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders and their neighbors—regardless of income or background—should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom and health benefits of bicycling. This is the motivation behind everything we do.
This position operates out of our full-service bike shop in NE Portland’s bustling Alberta Arts District. Our high-volume shop is staffed by a passionate collective of people from diverse backgrounds who provide compassionate customer service to a broad cross-section of cyclists. Here at the shop we value and support one another through the work we do and are committed to working collaboratively to meet our goals. We acknowledge and value diversity and its many intersections. We are proud that people of color, women, neuro-divergent, gender non-conforming, and LGBTQIA+ folks choose to work at our shop. We encourage more people from varied and diverse backgrounds to join our lively, talented team. If this also describes you and your values, then we would love to hear from you!
The Retail Sales Associate is responsible for developing strong customer relationships through excellent customer service while maintaining an inclusive, well stocked, and clean retail environment. This position will require experience working in a high volume retail setting, familiarity with point of sale, and inventory management systems, along with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as needed.
- Provide courteous, fast, friendly, and efficient customer service to people of all backgrounds both in person and over the phone.
- Guide customers toward bicycles, parts, and accessories that best fit their needs.
- Process cash, card, and check payments
- Work with the marketing & management teams to create product displays, label inventory, print & mount signs for announcements, and events.
- Participate in a variety of staff meetings
- Complete any physical duties, including lifting, reaching or crouching through the use of proper body mechanics and/or the buddy system.
- Help support shop fundraising efforts.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
- Basic compatibility knowledge of bicycles, their components and accessories
- Point of sale systems experience
- Ability to proficiently use hand tools
- Interactions with community members should reflect a good faith effort to uphold the Community Cycling Centers commitment to equity and social justice.
- Ability to maintain a positive, empathetic and professional attitude toward customers.
- Ability to maintain composure and a respectful, cooperative attitude through high stress situations
- Capacity to work independently
- Availability to work weekends
DESIRED QUALITIES OR EXPERIENCE
- At least one year of bicycle shop and/or retail experience.
- Proficiency in Spanish (+ $1/hr Premium)
- Attention to detail and a methodical approach to accomplishing tasks
- A strong desire to learn and develop professional skills in the cycling industry
- $16.50 per hour to start
- Benefits: Health, dental and vision insurance. Paid Time Off, $200 Used Parts Allowance, $90 Labor Benefit, Cost +10% pricing on new parts, flexible scheduling during off-season
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Retail Sales Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, trans and gender non-conforming applicants encouraged to apply.