Seasonal Bicycle Mechanic Job Description
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY CYCLING CENTER
For over 25 years, we have been a nonprofit organization on a mission to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits.
Our vision is to continue building a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders—regardless of income or background—should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom and health benefits of bicycling. This is the motivation behind everything we do.
This position operates out of our full-service bike shop in NE Portland’s busy Alberta District. Our high-volume shop is staffed by experienced mechanics from diverse cycling backgrounds who provide compassionate customer service to a broad cross-section of cyclists. Here at the shop we value and support one another through the work we do and are committed to working collaboratively to meet our goals. We acknowledge and value diversity and its many intersections. We are proud that people of color, women, neuro-divergent, gender non-conforming and LGBTQIA+ folks choose to work at our shop. We encourage more people from varied and diverse backgrounds to join our lively, talented team.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Bicycle Mechanic is responsible for supporting the mission of the Community Cycling Center. This includes assessing and repairing bicycles, assisting customers with choosing parts and accessories, as well as supporting our programs team. Under the supervision of the shop management team, the Bicycle Mechanic will work to consistently and efficiently deliver on the demands presented by our customers and programming efforts. This position will require technical proficiency, attention to detail, the ability to multitask, and to act as an ambassador for the Community Cycling Center.
· Educate customers about the operation and maintenance of bicycles; assist with the purchase of bikes, parts, and accessories
· Assess and repair bicycles for customers; repair bicycles for retail sale and for use in our programs
· Contribute to the retail environment- answer phones, restock shelves, maintain a safe, clean and organized work space
· Work cooperatively with the rest of the team to meet the goals set forth by the shop management team
· Moving and lifting bicycles up to 50 lbs. is a regular part of this job, however, reasonable accommodation can be made.
· Support fundraising efforts. This is an essential part of every one’s job
· Be a public supporter of the Community Cycling Center and represent the organization with positivity and consistency
· Ideal candidate has 3+ years of experience working in a high volume bike shop
· Consistent attention to quality and detail
· Ability to meet quantitative production and service goals as outlined by shop management
· Effective communication
· Ability to work in a collaborative environment
· Commitment to and respect for equity, sustainability and diversity
· Proficiency in Spanish strongly desired
· Familiarity with LightSpeed OS
· Proficiency in ASL
PAY RATE & BENEFITS:
TERM: February – October 1st, 2020
SCHEDULE: Full OR part time, 32-40 hours per week, including weekends BENEFITS: Sick time, labor and used parts Allowance.
COMPENSATION: $15.00 to start
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter, resume, and (3) references to: Hiring Committee via email to [email protected]. Please put Bicycle Mechanic in the Subject line. No phone calls please.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals with diverse abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply. People of color; women; trans and gender non-conforming people are encouraged to apply.