ABOUT THE COMMUNITY CYCLING CENTER
We love Portland and bikes. So, we put our two loves together over 25 years ago, creating a nonprofit organization on a mission to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits. Our vision is to help build a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders—regardless of income or background—should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom and health benefits of bicycling. This is the motivation behind everything we do.
In addition to delivering dynamic programs that benefit underserved communities, we operate a full-service bike shop in NE Portland that is staffed by highly experienced mechanics from diverse cycling backgrounds. Our programs and shop services combined help riders build their skills and confidence; empower young people to ride to school and adults to ride to work; offer educational opportunities for teens to earn school credit; and support everyone in riding for health and recreation. We also collaborate with numerous community partners to generate pathways to employment and engagement within the growing bicycle movement by training new educators, leaders, advocates and mechanics. Our goal is to help create a healthy, sustainable Portland for all community members.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The Service Manager is responsible for the improvement and maintenance of the Community Cycling Center’s Service Department. Working collaboratively with the Shop Leadership Team, the Service Manager will cultivate the delivery of consistent quality in repair services for our customers. Experience in a high-volume shop environment, clear communication skills, proven effectiveness in training staff, and the ability to develop and adapt systems are crucial to the success of this position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
MANAGEMENT OF SHOP OPERATIONS (70%)
- Lead by example, providing excellent customer service with the consistent delivery of quality estimates and repair services (24-32 hrs/wk)
- Provide training for new mechanics and ongoing development opportunities for experienced mechanics
- Continually develop and refine service writing methods that help reduce cost and confusion while providing consistently excellent service
- Work with difficult customer situations to ensure successful and timely resolution
- Oversee the delivery of warranty-related work
STRATEGIC ANALYSIS AND PROCESS EVALUATION (15%)
- Maintain and develop service standards, policies and procedures that balance a quality work environment with customer service demands
- Work with shop management team to evaluate opportunities, trends and feedback to maximize delivery on objectives
- Track and evaluate trends and collaborate with Shop Leadership Team to problem solve
- Conduct evaluation of labor menu and gather feedback from shop staff and customers to ensure quality and value of services provided
STAFF AND ORGANIZATIONAL SUPPORT (15%)
- Partner with Shop Leadership Team to hire, train, and evaluate staff
- Partner with Shop Leadership Team to develop and ensure adherence to policies and procedures governing shop practices
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Managerial experience, including supervising, training, and supporting staff
- Minimum of 5 years of professional bike mechanic experience
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously
- Ability to meet project deadlines and account for detailed objectives
- Success creating inclusive work environments where people from diverse backgrounds feel safe
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Two or more years working as a manager in bike shop
- Experience working in a used bike shop
- Fluency in spreadsheet software and comfort navigating inventory management systems
- Fluency in or familiarity with Spanish and/or American Sign Language
- Basic knowledge of Adobe software
REPORTS TO: General Manager
SCHEDULE: Permanent position, 40 hrs/wk, workdays may vary
BENEFITS: Health, dental, vision, life and more w/ approx. value of $4,800/yr; access to 401k; 18 days/yr PTO to start for FT, annual Used Parts Allowance, cost +10% on new parts
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your resume, cover letter, and (3) references to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
For the safety of our staff and community, we require our employees and volunteers to be fully vaccinated. KN95s or N95s are provided, and they are required when working onsite. HVAC units and air purifiers in every room are equipped with MERV-13 filters. Doors and windows are kept open for ventilation whenever possible.