Camp season is upon us! Here are some ways to help your child and their bike get ready.
Bicycle Safety Check
All camper bikes must pass a safety check before the first day of camp to ensure their bike is safe rideable. This includes a fit check and a basic mechanical check, done within a month of your camp’s start date. The check can be done at our shop at 1700 NE Alberta St or at your local bike shop. As with any bike shop, please allow ample time for repairs and expect to pay any and all applicable charges for repairs made by your local bike shop in connection with your Bike Camp Safety Check.
- The child attending bike camp
- Their bike
- The Bicycle Safety Check Form, to be filled out by the mechanic doing the check. Don’t lose your completed form, as it will be turned into the camp admin on the child’s first day of camp.
Important Note: If a repair is needed for a bike to meet the safety check, please be prepared to pay for all parts and labor costs. The Bicycle Safety Check is only an assessment of the camper’s bike and does not include repair costs.
How to Schedule a Bicycle Safety Check at the Cycling Center
We have an online appointment system to schedule bicycle safety checks at our bike shop to reduce wait time. We offer appointments on Tuesday and Saturday. Please allow 20 minutes for each check.
If you cannot make it during regular appointment hours or if all appointment times are booked, you can leave the bike with us to be checked within 3-5 business days.
Any late safety checks done after the Saturday prior to the start of your child’s camp will incur a $25 late fee. We are not able to accommodate any checks on the Sunday before camp.
What to Bring to Camp!
Please have your child bring the following items:
- Properly functioning bike
- Properly fitting helmet
- Required Bicycle Safety Check Form from a certified bike mechanic
- Backpack or bag suitable for everyday riding. Campers are expected to carry everything they need for the day. Backpacks are preferable to shoulder bags, which can affect balance
- Sack lunch, a snack, and water (no lunch necessary for Food Cart Seekers camp. Food Cart Cruisers will need to bring lunch on Monday and Friday.)
- Comfortable and weather-appropriate attire (no bike-specific clothing is necessary for our camps)
- Closed-toed shoes. No flip-flops or other open-toed sandals
- Please leave electronics and valuables at home
Our Camp Locations
Please double-check the meeting location of your camp by referencing your confirmation email.
- Community Cycling Center Bike Shop at 1700 NE Alberta St
- Sellwood Cycle Repair at 7953 SE 13th Ave
- Please note that Sellwood Cycle Repair is closed on Sunday and Mondays. Shop access will be limited to the restroom on Monday.
- Please do not call Sellwood Cycle Repair with camp related questions, instead please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Bike Camps
- If your child is registered for a Community Bike Camp through one of our partners, please reach out to email@example.com for questions.
Overnight Bike Storage
Participants’ bikes can be stored in our secure indoor bike storage throughout the week for both sites. Families can also take bikes home if they choose. Please let the camper’s instructor know if this is the case.
If you have any questions about registration or Bike Camp in general, please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.